US Politics Thread

Discussion in 'World Affairs' started by britbox, Jul 21, 2016.

1. britbox

britbox Multiple Major Winner

Ray Moore? I don't think so. Most of the GOP hierarchy are distancing themselves from him.

2. Federberg

Federberg Grand Slam Champion

distancing, but not throwing him under the bus. It's one thing to say he shouldn't be elected, it's quite another to qualify it with "if it's true". I believe only a few like John McCain have flat out said he should step down. The man has virtually admitted to it by using part of the allegations to defend himself. This is a vastly different response to the Harvey Weinstein allegations, and these allegations are worse on such obvious levels

3. Federberg

To be clear... Roy Moore, admitted on Fox that he dated girls in his 30s young enough for him to have to ask permission from their mothers. If that isn't enough for folks I don't know what is

4. Federberg

Another woman comes out, and I was just listening to some local Alabama journalists who say they've spoken to other women who have confirmed assaults by this creep as well. Some of them may come out, but a lot of them don't want to be shark bait for some of these vicious scum that will defend Moore even if he raped a child in front of them. I simply cannot believe American politics has reached a point where there is even a debate about this issue anymore

5. britbox

Moore's got nowhere to go by the looks of it, but I'd still like to see the general principle of a formal hearing rather than just taking somebody's word for it at face value. Now, this isn't that necessary here because Moore has admitted to stuff himself already... but as a general principle it needs to happen. There were several people in that UK Yewtree investigation who were named and shamed and then proven to be totally innocent - Jimmy Tarbuck's accusers were proven to have totally made it up.

6. britbox

Looks like Hillary might be up for investigation...

7. Federberg

I'm not so sure about that. Sessions was distancing himself from that in Congress yesterday. How US politics has reached a point where Fox & Friends can request a Special Counsel as a political stunt is quite beyond me. This is banana republic stuff

8. Federberg

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. This is the court of public opinion, not a court of law. The statute of limitations has run out. There is no equivalence between the UK investigations and this. Moore is on record as not explicitly denying these allegations, and not only have these women put themselves on record, they are Trump supporters generally. Furthermore even the mall has come out and confirmed that they barred Moore from trawling on their premises for young girls. I find it disturbing that anyone would be hesitant at this stage to disavow this guy

9. britbox

You may have missed this bit: Now, this isn't that necessary here because Moore has admitted to stuff himself already

10. Federberg

Fair enough (I did miss that because the first bit was like a red rag to me! :lol6:) Anything that sounds like a defence of the guy makes my flesh crawl. My bad

britbox likes this.
  11. Federberg

fyi...

12. britbox

It might be totally unrelated to Uranium One, but when somebody funnels 131 million to the Clinton Foundation then something tells me it ain't really from the goodness of their heart. As forensic analysts say... follow the money trail.

13. Federberg

Lol! You want to believe something nefarious about Clinton. That's your call. But at least try to maintain some sort of relationship with the facts. There's no there, there... The amount might seem large, but it's by no means unusual in the context of charitable giving by the way

14. britbox

OK, let's remove Uranium One out of the equation for now... I'll agree it's all pretty flimsy as it stands.

However, and I debated this with you and Moxie a long time ago when we looked at Clintons donors list... Moxie, at least (and maybe you, but I can't be bothered to trawl back on it) seemed to be of the view that these were genuine heartfelt donations by the likes of the Friends of Saudi Arabia, Quatar and all these other donors... I just roll my eyes to be honest... these payments are for influence...and influence alone.

15. Federberg

This is not new mate. People of have been making contributions for influence since the beginning of time. Where I depart from you is the fact that you immediately assign a nefarious purpose to charitable contributions from Middle Eastern donors. Not only is the truth is usually far simpler than that, the fact that to date there has been no evidence whatsoever of any wrongdoing despite a huge anti-Clinton infrastructure is telling. I would be the first one to slam the Clinton's if anything was ever pulled up. It's interesting how silent her accusers are regarding Trump despite the blatant corruption that we now see in Washington. When concern for the legalities is influenced by bias it loses all credibility

16. GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath The GOAT

Multiple birds with one stone now.

1. Sessions runs as a write-in candidate killing Roy Moore.
    2. New Guy with no "memory issues' becomes AG of USA.
    3. New guy takes supervision of Muller not having to rescue himself.
    4. New Guy fires Muller.
    5. Russia-Collusion goes away.

Trump might have paid these women who were accusing Roy Moore!

17. Federberg

Lol! I’ve been thinking about that. Sessions clearly doesn’t want to do that. In any case the first question any AG designate will have to answer is will you fire Mueller?