History

Discussion in 'Odds and Ends' started by EquineAnn, Dec 30, 2017.

?

What type of history would you like to discuss?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2018.
  1. British

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Egyptian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Greek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Norman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aztec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Social & Economic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Medical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Stage-coaching

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. All of the above & maybe more besides.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

This song is about the Jacobite uprising when Flora McDonald rows Bonnie Prince Charlie over the sea to Skye. For anyone wanting to sing along with the chorus the words are "Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wing. Onward the sailors cry! Carry the lad who was born to be King. Over the sea to Skye!".

2. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

3. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

I'm gutted. I said on my facebook reading group that my non-fiction book at the moment is "A history of ancient Britain" by Neil Oliver & got a response that if I like the history of Ancient Britain there was a programme on Sky called "Britannia" & it looked interesting but I don't have Sky.

4. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

I know I've typed this before but I realised I'd made a mistake after I lost the privilege of an edit so I'll add a footnote.
    Footnote
    You have a ride on the fair-ground, shop, go to the pub, go to school (I got the multiplication question right but not the question on Victorian money, I played hop-scotch. What I didn't like about going to school was when I was told I wouldn't have studied the diagram behind the teacher's desk showing the constitution of a horse as I was female & girls got taught only the bare minimum to prepare them for their role in life which was to look after their home, husband & children & they went home at dinner-time.) go to the music teacher's house, dentist, Manor house & taste freshly made bread, go down the mine (if you wish), in an old bank, on a replica of Stevenson's locomotion No. 1, you can help make clippy rugs from rags, there's now a baker's & photographer's where you can have your photograph taken in old-fashioned clothes (for an extra charge of course) & there's a fish shop & 1940s farm area where you can taste freshly baked scones with freshly made jam & see patchwork quilts being made.
    When I said girls went home at dinner-time it should have read they went home at dinner-time on Mondays to help Mother with washing.

5. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

Did you know that the Magellan Strait named after the Portuguese explorer who discovered it was originally named "Estrecho de Todos los Santos" meaning "The channel of All Saints" because it was 1st reached on All Saints Day? (I didn't originally know what "Estrecho" meant but worked out "de Todos los Santos" because of it's similarity to Spanish which I learnt for my holidays.

Did you know that Magellan also named the Pacific Ocean because of how quiet it seemed? He called it "mar Pacifico" which actually means "Pacific sea" with words turned round to make sense in English.

Do you also know he named "Tierra del fuego" which means "the land of fire" due to the amount of fires burning on the archipelago?

6. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

What 1st got me interested in history is the fact we didn't learn about the constitution of a horse in science so as most of the world would have been at a standstill without horses at 1 time & we heard a lot about horses in history I loved it. I later got interested in how people lived before the existence of the mod cons we have today. I'm particularly interested in soc. & economic history & medical history. I got a book yesterday called "the age of the horse" about the relationship between humankind & horses in history which should be fascinating though I already know some of it.

What about you? What 1st got you interested in history & why? What's your favourite type of history?

7. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

Did you know the battle of Wakefield wasn't actually fought in Wakefield itself but a nearby village called Sandal?
    Did you know that the battle of Hastings wasn't actually fought in Hastings but a place nearby called Battle?

8. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

Did you know the 1st chronometer was invented 250 years ago in Wakefield by John Harrison?
    Did you know that the 1st glass-making machine was invented by someone in Ferrybridge in 1877 & sold to Bagley's glassworks in Pontefract? I was amazed when I found this out as I'd seen people glassblowing & thought glass was still made by glassblowers using this method. Mind you, until recently I thought books were still made by book-binders the old way.

9. EquineAnn

EquineAnn Major Winner

I feel the need to talk about the Glencoe massacre today & as I've already gave a date & shared a song I think I'd better give my version of events. It's not as good & nice as the song but here goes.

King William of Orange made all Scots pledge allegiance to him in writing by 1/1/1692. For the McDonald's of Glencoe they were supposed to do this by going to Inverary Castle & signing a register of all the people pledging allegiance to William of Orange. Glencoe also known as the Glen of weeping is in the Highlands in a spot that is treacherous at the best of times & quite a way away from Inverary & it was very snowy. The McDonald's came slightly late so missed the deadline. The Campbell's might have let them off but they were their worst enemies so didn't. They got an order signed by the King to slaughter the McDonald's of Glencoe. They arrived late in the night after travelling from Fort William (where they gathered more men) to the habitations of the McDonald's. It was a custom in those days that you would entertain anyone as guests & feed them as well as offer them shelter if they came unarmed. (Scots in trad. Highland dress have a knife in their sock called a skian dhu & another in their jacket pocket called a dirk so I don't know whether by unarmed they meant completely or just with dirk & skian dhu). They fed, entertained & offered the Campbell's a bed for the night. @ 5 am on 13/2/1692 the Campbell's slaughtered the McDonald's of Glencoe. It may seem a long time & short distance but don't forget the quickest form of transport in those days was the horse & they travelled in a blizzard + it was in the Highlands of Scotland & mountainous terrain is treacherous at the best of times. It was later seen as a heinous crime.

#49 EquineAnn, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM