2018 Australian Open - Early Chatter

Discussion in 'Pro Tennis (Mens)' started by britbox, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Fiero425

Fiero425 Grand Slam Champion

I blew that since it's so hard to watch any Rafa match; the stalling, the toweling off, the grunting, and challenging of so many calls! Still recovering from '12 AO final vs Nole! Someone must have forgotten Fabio took out Rafa in the 3rd Rd. at the 2015 USO when up 2-0 in sets in the upset of the tournament! That was embarrassing; I think he had been 150-0 when up 2 sets to love! :whistle: :lol6: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Denis likes this.
  2. Moxie

Moxie Multiple Major Winner

It doesn't matter. We'll just keep going over it all. :) In any case, it is relevant to this thread. Rafa is the #1 seed, Roger the #2, and they played the final last year. They are completely relevant as competitors, at the moment, lest we forget.

Fiero425 likes this.
  3. Moxie

I hate to be painful, but I will point out how long it took Novak to get over the hump of a winning record against each of them, which happened when they were both pretty lame. He did get there, though, to his credit, by a little. And yes, he lost a lot of ground last year, in the hunt. Since we haven't had much participation from Nole fans for a while, I'd be curious as to your take on his injury/motivation issues over the last some 20 months, including his personnel changes. Let's face it, it was kind of a weirdly long walkabout.

4. DarthFed

DarthFed The GOAT

It's all good. Roger's 08 Wimbledon loss was far worse than Nadal's loss last year and it sent Roger down the road of being Rafa's bitch for many years. Hopefully Roger keeps making your boy bend over to touch his ankles. That H2H is weak unless Roger wins 8 more in a row

Wimbledonerer likes this.
  5. DarthFed

DarthFed The GOAT

Spanked by JMDP? You mean the match where Roger was serving for a 2 set lead, was up 2 sets to 1, was 2 points from winning the match? That spanking?

atttomole and Wimbledonerer like this.
  6. 10isfan

10isfan Pro Tour Champion

What idiot made up these rules??!!! If Wawrinka withdraws, Kyrgios moves to Fed’s half. The only dangerous opponent gets removed from Nadal’s path. This could be USO all over again where Murray messed up the draw. Does anyone know how much time Wawrinka has before a lucky loser replaces him?

7. Fiero425

Murray did the same thing @ the FO back in '13 forcing Nadal & Nole to play in the SF instead of the Final if they made it! :whistle: :banghead: :oops: :rolleyes:

8. Moxie

Where'd you get that from? I don't think that can happen. I figure there's a good chance that Stan withdraws. I think he has until just before he's due to play. LL's have been known to drop in at the last second. But that doesn't mean they rejigger the draw. The LL would most likely take Stan's slot. Even when Murray withdrew from the USO, they didn't move Federer to the bottom half, which would have been the most logical. They moved Cilic to his slot so as not to anchor the bottom with a LL. But they didn't move players across halves of the draw.

9. GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath The GOAT

I didn't think of it. Yes, if Stan withdraws and they rebalance the draw, they will move Nick into his slot. Filip Karjinovic will move into Nick's Slot and Filip's current spot will be taken by LL.

Now, whether they rebalance the draw is determined by the following three rules.

1. If Stan withdraws after the first ball is struck, then they are NOT ALLOWED to rebalance the draw.
    Stan's spot will be directly given to LL.
    2. If Stan withdraws before the schedule for the opening day's play is released, they MUST rebalance
    the draw.
    3. If Stan withdraws after the schedule for the opening day's play is released and before the first
    ball is struck, then it is up to the DISCRETION of the tournament organizers as to whether to rebalance or not.

In this case, we actually want Stan to wait for long time before withdrawing (that will ensure that the draw
    is relatively balanced in reality), if he chooses to withdraw.

#269 GameSetAndMath, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    mrzz, 10isfan and Moxie like this.
  10. Moxie

Wow, I'm impressed that you even know that. Now I think Stan will probably try to hang around for a round or 2. Or at the very least, not screw the tournament and Roger around that much by waiting too long to pull the plug.

11. GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath The GOAT

You are not getting the point. Stan will be screwing the tournament if he withdraws early. He should wait long to pull out to save the tournament.

12. Moxie

No, I did get that. I misspoke. There are just so many double-negatives involved.

13. Moxie

14. 10isfan

Yay, Stan. If his friendship with Fed means anything to him, he should wait until the first match to withdraw.

Denis likes this.
  15. Fiero425

Friendship? Doubtful, no matter what they say! Between beating him like a drum and Mirka talking trash at the YEC a few years ago when they were playing, I couldn't imagine Stan being that close to Roger! I thought Stan was going to "throw" the DC final they were in a week later! :whistle: :oops:

16. 10isfan

Djoke’s elbow isn’t fully healed. He says the doctors gave him the green light; they believe playing won’t aggravate it. I find that very hard to believe.

Fiero425 likes this.
  17. Denis

Denis Multiple Major Winner

Doesn’t it mean that he cashes in too?

Didn’t Fed say something a year ago or so that would go against Feds interests here. Surely nick needs to stay put.

18. Denis

Denis Multiple Major Winner

Do you have a source?

19. 10isfan

Fed said his favorite person to hang out with is Stan. Maybe the friendship goes one way??

Analysts are predicting a Fed vs Kyrgios final. I’m thinking Potro might beat Fed (although his loss to Agut just now indicates I’m giving Potro too much credit.)

the AntiPusher and Fiero425 like this.
  20. Fiero425

Didn't I read somewhere the tour was going to a system to avoid a lot of that WD of matches or defaulting in the middle? They were to offer some points and cash beforehand or something because it got ridiculous last season! :whistle: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes: