Feb/20

Noah Rubin Comes Home To New York and Wins Big Match

The New York Open began today with its qualifying matches and New York home-boy, Noah Rubin, actually came up with a big win, knocking off McKenzie McDonald. To say Rubin needed a win is an understatement. The 23-year-old Long Islander has dropped to no. 268 in the rankings and had not won a match since September when he did knock off no. 77, Andreas Seppi.

Rubin did qualify for Wimbledon last year where he lost in the first round to the young Brit, Jay Clarke, but it was the only slam of 2019 that he did qualify. Along the way, Rubin won two Masters Series qualifying matches, one each in Indian Wells and Miami, but he did not win a single ATP match over the entire year. Rubin will need to knock off another wily Italian, 38-year-old Paolo Lorenzi in the second and last round of Qualis at the New York Open, to have a chance to win his first ATP match since he beat John Isner in Washington D.C. in August of 2018.

Jack Sock makes his long-awaited ATP comeback tomorrow night against the 26-year-old former UCLA Bruin, Marcos Giron. Sock has not played in an ATP match since he lost in the first round of last year’s US Open to Pablo Cuevas. The 27-year-old Sock has no current ranking and it’ll be curious to see if Sock is still carrying the 10-15 extra pounds he seemed to be sporting on his 6-foot-3-inch frame in New York in August.

The match right before the Sock-Giron encounter is another all-American battle with Tennys Sandgren coming off his strong Oz Open showing taking on Steve Johnson. The Californian has dropped in the rankings to no. 75 while the Tennessean is now no. 56. The New York Open finally has some pizzazz with defending champ Riley Opelka returning along with Milos Raonic, Yoshi Nishioka and Kevin Anderson and Isner. Not great, truth be told, but an improvement over past years.

In other tennis news, Callum Markowitz, my 13-year-old son, won the National L2 1’s doubles title with his partner, Mikkel Zinder of Pennsylvania, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

• Dan Markowitz · February 9, 2020 at 9:07 pm

Amazing college match today was played at the Lifetime Fitness club courts in Harrison, New York between no. 9 nationally-ranked Columbia vs. no. 13 Michigan. The Wolverines won the all-important doubles point and won the match 4-3 as their no. 1, freshman Andrew Fenty, came up with a hard-fought win against last year’s New York Open qualifier, Columbia’s junior from Canada, Jack Lin.

Fenty, for a big guy, 6-4 and 205-pounds, when’s the last time a top player weighed that much? plays a funky game, slicing his forehand and drop-shotting off his backhand, and he is equally fiery in his demeanor. He went to Laurel Springs High School outside of D.C. so I guess he’s won of the only top collegiate players these days not to go the home-school and academy route.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 9, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Fenty is the son of the former mayor of Wash DC, Andrew Fenty who was dating the widow of Steve Jobs, Laurene Johnson, who was two years older than me and lived in my town West Milford. My best friend dated her and drove with her cross country when she was going to grad school at Stanford where she met Jobs who was giving a speech.

• jg · February 10, 2020 at 7:24 am

Mayor Fenty used to coach during junior matches, pissed everyone off.

• Dan Markowitz · February 10, 2020 at 7:42 am

Ok so Fenty intrigued me. Big guy, you don’t usually see 205-pounders playing college tennis or tennis at all. And he was pumping his fist jumping around. I said to my friend I was watching match with, “You think this kid can be a pro?” And he said, “Not with that backhand.” But I saw he already had a pro ranking, like 1080, and I’m going to follow him because he was like an American Jo-Willy Tsonga, not as talented, but a real presence, excellent doubles player too.

It was interesting, Michigan’s squad, which is coached by a guy named Adam Steinberg, who walks around like he just got off a horse, and has Benjamin Becker as its assistant coach (Becker looks in great shape and I wouldn’t be surprised if he can still beat all the players on Michigan), is all-American except for I think two players from Estonia, who are twins, and one player from the Czech Republic, Ondrej Styler, who played no. 2 singles. Columbia’s team is practically all-Asian. Four of it’s six doubles players were Asian.

Styler is someone to watch. He plays old-school tennis, chipping and charging the net. He’s already won Roland Garros Junior doubles and gotten to finals of Wimbledon junior doubles. I know Fenty is damn good because Styler is really good and he’s playing behind Fenty. Steinberg, by the way, has coached at like 8 schools. I guess this is the way of college coaching where it’s very peripatetic. He won a national championship at Pepperdine to which I said, “When did Pepperdine win a national championship in tennis?”

• Hartt · February 10, 2020 at 8:17 am

Congrats to Callum. Am looking forward to your next account of one of his matches.

• jg · February 10, 2020 at 8:36 am

Fenty hung tough in the Citi Open qualifying last 2 years, taking sets.

• Dan Markowitz · February 10, 2020 at 8:40 am

Thank you, Hartt, it was disappointing on one level because he was the no. 2 seed in singles, but he didn’t get out to Grand Rapids until 2 in the morning Friday night (my wife will not let him miss days of school so he get to a national tournament early), and his first doubles match was at 8 and then the singles at noon. He lost the singles match to a boy who went on to reach the semis, but I didn’t think he played very well.

I will probably not write in length about Callum’s junior tennis or my experience in and of it again because the last time I wrote a piece on it for Tennis-Prose.com, one of the father’s of a boy who I wrote about (I didn’t use the boy’s name and I didn’t consider what I wrote to be critical of the boy, but Callum had beaten him 6-3, 6-0 in the finals of one of the last national events Callum played and this father was very upset and called me some choice name which led me to call him some choice names and suggest that he pay Callum for the lesson Callum gave his son–I can be very mature–and spiteful, although I try not to let that emotion enter my mind).

Now the first rule I learned in graduate writing school is that if you’re writing doesn’t embarrass you at some level, if it doesn’t stir things inside of you that might not be too pleasant to face, then it’s not good writing or doesn’t have the gravitas needed to be a good piece of writing. This, of course, was Fiction Writing, but I think it applies on some level to all genres of writing. I have a hard enough time revealing things in my writing that have import to me, but I don’t necessarily want to include others in that equation, meaning if what I write upsets other people, I don’t want to go there and I don’t want it to negatively effect my son because he’s the one who might have to hear the talk in the clubhouse and ultimately has to walk out onto the court with the racquet in his hand and play.

Like yesterday, my wife who was in Grand Rapids with Callum, was telling me that the other fathers watching his Conso singles match were saying that Callum’s forehand isn’t as potent as it used to be. And then the father of the boy he was playing and another father, were getting riled up accusing Callum of cheating because he was overruled by the lines woman on one call on the sideline and on a close shot at set point Callum in the first set, he called the ball out. The other boy contested the call, but Callum showed him where the ball landed with his racquet. But the point is, other parents can get kind of worked up and look for faults in other kids’ games and I don’t need to give them more grease for the fire.

• Hartt · February 10, 2020 at 8:50 am

Dan, I understand your decision, your reasons make a lot of sense. But I will miss your reports on Callum’s matches. I hope you are keeping a journal and perhaps could write about these experiences in the future, when it wouldn’t have a direct effect on Callum.

But please let us know about Callum’s results. He has several fans here.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 9:17 am

Dan, as much as I and many others here enjoyed your perspectives on Cal’s journey, they were fantastic reading, your decision to no longer share it is the right one. Fly under the radar, give no clues about Callum. We decided the same thing early about writing about Lan’s journey. Because people do searches on every player they play and try to find nuggets and clues and any morsel of info can help them to understand the player and give them an edge. I wrote about her style of play and limitations and I believe the other girl at Orange Bowl she lost to read it, or her coach Elise Tamaele read it, and they had a set gameplan and beat her 64 in third, they knew what she liked to do. Best to have nothing on the web about Callum, in fact, you might even need to go back and delete evertyhing or even just initialize his name so these other players and their parents can’t find anything on Callum. This is what I did on Lan. It’s better that the other players know NOTHING about Callum than having a little something to give them an edge and that’s all it takes.

• Harold · February 10, 2020 at 10:13 am

Brad Gilbert put in some time at Pepperdine. Never understood why Pepperdine doesn’t get the top tennis recruits. It’s practically on the beach in Malibu.. windy place to play, but if I was being recruited.. first stop

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 10:33 am

jg will get this reference. Dan would like the late David Carr. Nice to get the insider notes on Fenty also, jg knows!

I was trying to figure out if Fenty’s home courts were at the 16th street center, but looks like he is a “JTCC product”. JTCC quietly has made its presence felt as a “stable of very good players”

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 10:37 am

Dan might like Michael Lewis’ podcast on importance of refs. No refs, no umps, and tournaments become chaos central. Heck we could put together the picket signs for the USTA: “MORE REFS FEWER STADIUMS!”

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 10:48 am

Klahn d. Arevalo in NY qualies. Did anyone catch it? Got him in the third set tiebreak. Arevalo is the best player in the history of El Salvador, much like Dellien is the best player in the history of Bolivia. These are NOT tennis countries, but countries with tennis courts, much like the Domincan Republic before Victor Estrella Burgos. Thankfully Victor Estrella Burgos stayed around long enough to convince some players or their parents that they could become viable pro players. I hope for the same with these other guys but have seen what happens sometimes – places like Peru, where Jaime Yzaga and Luis Horna starred – Peru has had no one since those two.

Someone might recognize this name: Ivan Miranda. He was a TOP world junior from Peru. He played admirably, but did not break through in any significant way.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 10:56 am

Kecmanovic vs Paul in NY, hopefully a good one. Both players are very hungry. Kecmanovic has a lot of ambition and has enjoyed his status of flying well under the radar for a very promising pro player, closing in on top 50 at age 20. Paul we all know: big expectation, bad results, and now the remarkable resurgence and seriousness under Brad Stine.

Johnson-Sandgren. Hard to see Johnson pulling this out, and Sandgren has something to prove, he always has something to prove!

Best match here I’d bet is Seppi vs Dzumhur. Dzumhur is great to watch. If he were 6’1” either he’s be a top ten player or he wouldn’t be Dzumhur. He has to work for everything. Dzumhur and Pablo Carreno Busta and Vesely, all of them had been great challenger players.

Only Carreno Busta has truly separated himself from his former challenger days. He has become a post-French Open, post chicken pox version of JC Ferrero.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Siniakova “keeps slumping”, loses to Rybakina in St. Pete/Russia.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Cleveland challenger draw “brutal”. Cherbourg might be worse in France.

In Buenos Aires, I look forward to seeing Munar get beaten again. The Spanish next gen is…terrible. Doesn’t matter if it’s Munar or Davidovich or Pedro Martinez. Italy’s next generation isn’t even called a next generation and they are doing a lot better. France too.

Spain after Nadal: silence…

• Harold · February 10, 2020 at 1:46 pm

I think Switzerland, Spain, and Serbia’s next gens get a break..impossible to come close to their predecessors.. were not talking about matching Roddick achievements.

Where’s Youzny? Not in Shapos box today. Two bad losses and adios?

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Fair enough – Swiss/Spain/Serbia have earned a “USA men’s break”. They can put forth talented players capable of slam QF occasionally and a slam SF once in a blue moon 🙂

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Or French men’s break: win home slam and phone it in for decades!

• Dan Markowitz · February 10, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Scoop, I’m not feeling I have to be as clandestine with Callum’s tennis, but it is crazy how fathers, for the most part (there are some mother too for sure, but I think the mom’s usually have better perspective on their son’s and daughter’s tennis achievements than the dad’s), can get so worked up over their son’s tennis.

I remember one father saying to me, “I want to be my son’s father, not his coach.” Coincidentally, I haven’t seen this boy competing at the higher Eastern levels of late. It’s too bad, but it almost seems like a father, again occasionally a mother or both mother and father, has to take up a second career as a top junior player’s, their son, manager. That puts a lot of pressure on a son and a father.

Like Callum just won the back draw of this National L2 tournament in Grand Rapids, MI, beating the no. 5 14’s boy in the finals 1 and 6, but when he talked to me after the match, the first thing he said is, “I don’t want to talk to you. I know you’re going to tell me all the things I did wrong.” Actually, the first thing I said to him was congratulations, but that is unfortunately the dynamic both of us often fall into. Blame, criticism and looking for answers as to why he didn’t play better, win easier, and if he loses, its feels like crisis mode.

• Dan Markowitz · February 10, 2020 at 3:23 pm

I’m sorry, in the Back Draw finals, Callum beat the no. 5 14’s boy in Florida, not the country.

• Jeff · February 10, 2020 at 3:34 pm

I wanted to post my comments from the other story here since this appears to be where the current discussion is.

I don’t know Giron from a gyro but if he can’t beat Sock in this spot, he needs another profession. This is Giron’s best chance to beat a pro people have heard of in an ATP event and he has to take advantage. Otherwise, he would be better off selling gyros since as Noah Rubin points out, tennis on the Challenger circuit does not pay.

Fact is Sock would have been better served playing in the Challenger in Cleveland but clearly he doesn’t have the humility to prove himself. I guess he wanted to be in the big city with his buddy Kyrgios, who pulled out, and Cleveland was beneath him. It is this kind of arrogance as to why most U.S. tennis fans hate Sock.

More intriguing is the Sandgren v Steve Johnson matchup. Johnson has been the top American in his career and that is what Sandgren is shooting for in his first match since his epic choke job against Federer. That should be a good one.

You should all read the nice feature on Sandgren on the ATP site. I recommend highly. He truly is the shining light for American men’s tennis at the moment.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 4:33 pm

NY Open: Kecmanovic d. Paul (6-4 6-2). Two QUICK losses for T. Paul, making him 5-3 on the year, and 2-3 in his last five matches with a two match losing streak, including losses to Fucsovics and Kecmanovic, and a loss of five sets in a row. Guys beating him – Harris (depth), Fucsovics (power) and Kemanovic (pride). Paul needed to make this match more competitive. I’m not sure if he really wants to go straight back to the challenger level, but he may be there soon again.

The curse of US players reaching their career highs. Tommy Paul strikes me as different, but like other young players with promising games, this isn’t a match to write home about.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Hopefully Sock plays hard.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 4:39 pm

Jeff, Giron is a tough task for Sock. He’s battle hardened and hungry. Sock better be ready. Another loss could destroy his already battered confidence. Sock surely was in top shape (in his mind) for his challenger matches last year but he bombed out badly. Giron is better than some of the sub journeymen Sock lost to. If Sock fails again, Dan bring out your shovel.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Socks plays hard but if he falls behind he gets tanky. He could definitely compete better when he’s in the losing position. We will see tonight how desperate he is. These are two marquee American tennis matchups, an intriguing double header. I look forward to seeing and then having the discussion after.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Dimitrov beats Shap, no Youzhny in box. Funny how when these coaches get a big feature written about them (Youzhny on ATP site, O Shannessy five pages in Tennis magazine) then they suddenly get demoted, downplayed or sent home. It’s like maybe the player resents the coach figure getting too much credit at their expense? Most unstable job in sports may be as a tennis coach of a top 100 player.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Don’t fork Sock. Congratulate him. He’s getting married. I hope he doesn’t make the same “mistake” Paradorn Srichapan does. Srichaphan was a top ten player, Asia’s best ever player on the men’s side before Nishikori, not all that different from Jack Sock in terms of being a big guy that moved pretty well with a good game (and a better backhand than Sock).

Has an epic motorcycle accident a la Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams (Duke). Marries Miss Universe (a Canadian!). That fails (sadly).

Now he is director of the Thailand Open. The man is still in tennis, but the moral is: [insert whatever you’d like here].

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Dan I would think you and Jeanne have to be extremely proud of where Callum is right now as a kid and a tennis player. He’s way ahead of what I expected, seeing him in Newport two years ago. He’s a very intelligent kid, sharp and quick minded, can have good conversations with adults.

• Jeff · February 10, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Good comparison, Andrew. Srichaphan married a beauty queen the same away Sock did, his was a stunning Miss Universe and yes that took his career off course. The couple is divorced now but I am sure they made many pleasant memories together.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Hopefully Sock has a prenup agreement.

• Hartt · February 10, 2020 at 6:56 pm

Scoop, I doubt that Youzhny was going to be at all Shapo’s matches. He was tired of travelling at the end of his playing days, so I imagine the agreement is that he will be with Denis for a certain number of weeks during the season. Actually, it is surprising he has been at as many tourneys as he has.

• Dan Markowitz · February 10, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Scoop, yes Jeanne and I are very proud of Callum. He’s done well at a very demanding and lonely sport and the fact that we’re going to the New York Open this Saturday as guests of the USTA Eastern Section and Callum will be honored on court for being named the 14’s Sportsmanship award for the section, is particularly rewarding. He’s a good kid and as much as he frustrates me sometimes on and off the court, he acts admirably on the court and enjoys the camaraderie with his other tournament-playing friends throughout the country.

• Hartt · February 10, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Dan, congrats. That is very impressive that Callum will receive recognition at the New York Open.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 11:00 pm

Srichaphan story tells itself. I don’t know the specifics, only the outline of his rise and retirement from Wikipedia. Generally when a guy marries Miss Universe I’d think yeah,that guy struck gold. But here he married Miss Universe and his career, struck a blow from a terrible motorcycle accident, was on life support, sputtered and ended. To Srichaphan credit he found a way back into the sport. I think he was known as a good guy on tour. I can’t speak to his life with Miss Universe, I’d have to look into it a little. My guess is he decided his happiness had nothing to do with marrying a super beautiful woman. Not that uncommon. Roddick said he looked pretty carefully at post tennis careers to land on his feet after his career ended (whether too soon or not – I think he had another good year in him in singles). And this is Roddick: Wealthy post career, married to a pretty good looking model 🙂

• Scoop Malinowski · February 10, 2020 at 11:12 pm

Sock hanging in there, broke back in early second after looking dead in first save for a few rallies. Critical match for both, atmosphere is a library.

• Andrew Miller · February 10, 2020 at 11:42 pm

Hoping for some more court description as Dan and Son make the rounds of the junior tennis world. Some of the courts you play on sound incredible. The tournament in the south was enjoyable to hear about. If you can’t write players, or their parents, there are personalities beyond them that make a tournament what it is. Fact is a tennis court is a tennis court no matter where it is, but wherever it is matters, too.

• Jeff · February 10, 2020 at 11:49 pm

Yes when Roddick married the Sports Illustrated babe it was definitely time for him to shift his priorities.

Fact of the matter is while Roddick is marrying an SI covergirl and Srichaphan a Miss Universe, Sock is only with a Miss North Carolina in comparison so we shouldn’t get carried away.

So nobody was at the Sock match? I thought he got the wild card because he was a draw. LOL. Good job by Giron to stick a fork in Sock. As I said, Sock should have been in Cleveland.

A shame Sandgren lost a heartbreaker. Two straight tough losses. Gotta feel for him.

• Andrew Miller · February 11, 2020 at 12:03 am

NY: Johnson KOs Sandgren, 7-6 in third. Johnson had to win that, even if Sandgren had to win it!!!

Giron d. Sock. A good win from Giron, and another tough day back to the office for Sock. I hope he keeps playing.

Seppi polished off Dzumhur, also 7-6 in the third.

Lorenzi sends Rubin home. Petkovic d. Klahn, Soeda d. Tomic. None qualify for the big dance.

Cleveland:
    Harrison d. Altamarino. Haven’t seen Altamarino’s name for a while. Good win for Harrison – their rankings aren’t too far off…

DY wins, d. Ortega-Olmedo

Cressy d. Saville

Nakashima d. Redlicki. Redlicki was doing so well.

• Andrew Miller · February 11, 2020 at 12:07 am

Nail biters are good results, whether in two or three or more sets. Sandgren can hold his head high.

Sock needs more matches. I remember someone once wrote here on TP maybe Scoop or Dan? About Sock going to a challenger, and basically very nonchalant about the whole thing. Now he has to go back to the challengers because that is his level – he’s no longer there on the way to something better. He needs the matches to build confidence and to GET better.

Can’t be easy. He just can’t do what he has been able to before. He’s Sock at a low level of Sock-ness.

• Jeff · February 11, 2020 at 12:31 am

I have been yelling that Sock needs to go to a Challenger and play matches for a while now but I guess he doesn’t read this site. I think he wanted to come to NY cause he was going to hang out with Kyrgios, who then withdrew.

There is no Challenger in the US next week, so Sock is in big trouble and will play Delray next and be ousted in the first round once more. If he had a brain, he would ask to play qualies in Delray just to try to get more matches that way. But not sure he could win a match there as well.

I think becoming a full-time doubles stud may be his best option.

• catherine · February 11, 2020 at 2:00 am

Off- topic but this seems the latest live stream.

No surprise – Bianca has w/drawn from Dubai. She is still entered for Doha and I’d scratch that too. It must be horrible for her but I’m thinking of other people to blame for this shambles. Could be a great talent lost.

• catherine · February 11, 2020 at 2:36 am

Bruneau says Andreescu won’t return until she’s ‘100 % fit’. How long is a piece of string ?

• Hartt · February 11, 2020 at 7:15 am

FAA just won a tough match against Struff, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3. He showed mental toughness in the third set, fighting off BPs.

• Scoop Malinowski · February 11, 2020 at 7:50 am

Sock lost his game and confidence. He’s a shattered player with no idea how to revive his destroyed career. He’s fit now but stil. can’t win a tennis match. Unbelievable story.

• Jon King · February 11, 2020 at 8:04 am

Baby steps for Sock. At least he does not look like he is days away from giving birth like he did last we saw him.

• catherine · February 11, 2020 at 8:13 am

Perhaps Sock is ‘pursuing other interests’ like Naomi O who is seemingly more interested in launching her new line at Fashion Week than winning tennis matches.

Kvitova in St Petersburg looking thin enough to grace the catwalk herself.

• Dan Markowitz · February 11, 2020 at 8:43 am

Thank you, Harrt. Yes, Saturday at New York Open will be a big day for Markowitz family and Cal’s coach when he receives the Boys’ 14’s Eastern Sportsmanship Award. We stress for him to act responsible on court and show respect to his opponent and officials and he does a good job of that.

Now I hope we’re not the only ones at the New York Open on Saturday. Love Scoop’s description of the atmosphere there last night as being a “library.” I think I’ve actually been in more raucous libraries than what we saw and heard at the Nassau Colisieum during last night’s Sock match. I agree with Jon that Sock has to take baby steps now. He can’t think, Geez, I was no. 8 in the world and now I can’t win a match. He’s got to go back to Challenger mode, maybe hire Spadea in this regard, and grind in the Tulsa’s and Binghamton’s. Delray will be key though. Maybe in the Florida sunshine he can pull off a win against a second-tier player if he’s lucky to draw one in first round.

As for Rubin, when you lose badly to Lorenzi, it might be time to think about switching careers. Ditto to Tomic with Soeda.

• Andrew Miller · February 11, 2020 at 10:14 am

Lorenzo at #116 SHOULD beat Rubin, who at #269 could have head to Cleveland, but opted for one of his home-town tournaments. Tomic is hurling towards the #200 ranking, presently at #191 (until next weeks, when he most certainly will be close to #200 if not worse.

In Rotterdam, yes, nice from Felix AA to top Struff, who has played well for a good, long stretch now. The Khachanov d. Fognini result was predictable, but a good win anyhows. The most under-appreciated result, Rublev d. Basilashvili. Rublev wins many early round matches, and it’s good insurance against a drop in the rankings.

Some interesting matches in Cleveland today (Mmoh-Nakashima, O’Connell-Aragone, Korda-DY) as well as out in Cherbourg, France. The Cherbourg draw has a lot of people I don’t recognize, but I do see Mirna Basic still winning and am glad!

• Jon King · February 11, 2020 at 10:18 am

Dan, that is awesome about the sportsmanship award! Living in the South Florida tournament scene, the epicenter of poor sportsmanship, it is extra impressive.

6-7 years ago you would enter a tournament down here and check the field and maybe say “uh oh, those 2 or 3 girls are notorious cheaters”. Now you look at the field and say “oh, those 3-4 girls play fair”.

1 2 3