Jun/17

Do You Believe McEnroe In His New Book, “But Seriously?”

310917_255560254494254_1440198522_nJohn McEnroe is back with a new book, “But Seriously, which just came out on Tuesday, 15 years after his iconic and No. 1 New York Times Bestseller, “You Cannot Be Serious.” And here is my question to you, do you think Johnny Mac still wakes up in a cold sweat sometimes because he lost that 1984 French Open finals against Ivan Lendl, even though he was up two sets to love, had three break points at love-40 to break Lendl at 3-all in the third set and had a forehand volley to go up 5-3 in the fourth set?

I mean, it may not be on a par (it is to me though), I once lost a match in college, a doubles match at Potsdam College somewhere way up in upstate New York near Canada I think, where my partner and I had match points and I remember on one I duffed a return from the ad court, that lost my college, Cortland State, the match, and I never played doubles again in a college match, but even so, I never wake up in a cold sweat re-playing that match.

What’s quite amazing is Johnny Mac said in 2015 when he played Lendl on the Senior Circuit in Paris, he was jonesed to go out and revenge the loss. Really Johnny Mac, on the senior tour to a fat Lendl? But that is the competitive mojo Mac brings to the court even at 56 (now 58)

Here’s the excerpt from Mac’s new book: (What do you think? Is Johnny Mac being absolutely truthful with us? And what’s the big deal with Mac saying Serena would be #700 on the men’s tour? I think Johnny Mac was being kind with that assessment.

Book Excerpt: ‘But Seriously’

By John McEnroe

5:14 a.m., June 8, 2015, Paris

I wake up in a sweat. My pillow’s damp and I don’t know what day it is. Did I miss the match? Am I playing later? For a few seconds I don’t even know where I am. Then it hits me. I already played the match. I already lost it. Jesus, it was back in 1984 and I’m still haunted by it. Even now, more than thirty years later, I’m as hot as I was in the fifth set and I can taste the red clay on my tongue.

It was a match I should have won and it turned into the worst loss of my career. I’d been playing my best tennis ever, I was undefeated that year, and although serve-volleying wasn’t the obvious way of winning the French Open on the slow clay of Roland-Garros, I was playing Ivan Lendl. Ivan had so far lost four Grand Slam finals in a row and I sure as hell wasn’t planning on breaking that run for him by handing him his first title. In fact, I was planning on beating his ass.

At first, that’s exactly what I did. After two sets, I was up 6-3, 6–2, and I was all over him. The crowd was behind me, “Allez, John! Allez.” As far as I was concerned, I was in control, I had this in the bag. But as it got hotter, the crowd started losing focus.

Then my friend Ahmad Rashad—a great former wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings—who was there rooting for me, got up to leave. “You got this, Mac! I’ll see ya back at the hotel.” Shit, the last thing I needed was a jinx. It’s an unwritten rule in sports that friends and family don’t leave until the match is over. Not that I’m blaming Ahmad for the loss, but that’s when little doubts started creeping in for the first time. I still thought I was going to win but those negative thoughts began to get to me.

Everything suddenly became a distraction. At the next changeover I couldn’t help but notice the noise from a nearby cameraman’s headphones. Someone was obviously trying to get this guy’s attention. The third set had barely started when, I swear to God, I heard something like, “When the match is over, we’ll focus on John and then stick with him through the trophy ceremony. He’s got this, so make sure he’s in the shot.” In English. In Paris. It was the American TV cameraman listening to the producer’s instructions in his headphones, but they
were so loud I could hear them too. Unbelievable! Now I was feeling even more jinxed. So I walked to the guy’s chair, grabbed the headphones off his head, and screamed as loud as I possibly could into his mic: “SHU T UP!” I knew immediately that my frustration wasn’t a good enough reason for me to do this, and while I didn’t care about the cameraman, I did care about the crowd. I needed them. But they sure as hell didn’t need me and my bad attitude. That was the point when they turned on me. They just wanted the match to go on—who could blame them—and what better way than to change corners and root for my opponent? After all, that French crowd was known for being fickle. I tried to block them out. I was still the best tennis player in the world and there was no way I was losing to Lendl.

I failed to break his serve at 2–2 in the third, despite him being 0–40 down. No matter. I still had my mojo. I was still convinced I could win this thing, all I needed to do was stick with my game plan: serve-volley, and break him—as soon as possible. Except he won the set 6–4.

I had to pull it together. I reminded myself I was two sets to one up; better than him. “Don’t panic. Don’t let the heat get to you. Don’t let these people get to you. They know I can beat this guy. I know I can beat this guy.” But it didn’t happen.

In the fourth set, I found myself serving, 4–3, 40–30. I’d broken him and was five points from the title. I really thought I could close it out. But in the heat of the moment, my normally soft hands pushed my first volley a fraction beyond the baseline. Somehow, in the blink of an eye, the set was over. He’d won it 7–5 and we were now two sets all.

In the fifth, the heat became stifling, Lendl’s confidence ignited, and the crowd got behind him. My legs felt more and more like Jell-O and, with my strength draining fast from my body, I lost my grip on the match. I tried and tried, but in the end, I was the one walking to the net with my head down, while Lendl was smiling goofily, his hands up, jumping around as he
sealed his first Slam title.

Does it surprise you that I still have that nightmare, all these years later? It wakes me up every year when I’m in Paris, commentating on the French Open—at least once, usually twice. But every time I have this bad dream, it’s a little easier to get over. Maybe I’ve gained some perspective on this dark moment in my career. Maybe time does heal all wounds. But any way you look at it, this was the closest I ever came to winning this clay-court major.

Thankfully I’ve had a couple of small chances for revenge since then (although let me be clear: nothing could EVER EVER EVER make up for what happened that day). The first was in October 2010. And it was in Paris. That morning when I awoke I didn’t have to have the nightmare, because after eighteen years, I was finally going to be playing Ivan Lendl again. For me, it was a big deal to meet him on court once more. My chance to get one back on him. I’m not kidding. That 1984 Roland-Garros defeat still burned my guts. We’d come up against each other on a number of occasions since then; sometimes I’d won, mostly I’d lost. We’d last played each other on the main tour back in 1992 in Toronto, but by then we were both on the downward slope of our careers, so it hadn’t felt like a proper opportunity for payback. Once I started on the seniors circuit, there was a long period where Ivan was kept off the court because of a clause in an insurance policy that looked like it would stop him from ever playing again. But somehow that got ironed out. So now, in the city where I’d suffered the most painful loss of my career, I finally had the chance to lay that ghost to rest—the one that had been haunting me for twenty-six years.

Excerpted from BUT SERIOUSLY © 2017 by John McEnroe, Reprinted with permission from Little, Brown and Company.

facing-mac

• catherine · June 29, 2017 at 4:28 am

I thought we’d finished that conversation about Mac’s stupid remarks re Serena – see below. Please don’t let’s re-open it.
    Women don’t play on the men’s tour. Full stop.
    There are more important things going on.

• Dan Markowitz · June 29, 2017 at 7:20 am

Catherine

It’s still an interesting debate. And one Serena should jump at closing by opting to play McEnroe once she’s healthy. The women’s tour needs a shot in the arm and lets face it a MAC v Serena match is going to be a whole lot more interesting than an Ostopenko-Haley o e reven if it occurs in a slam finals. When Riggs played King, who won was Bobby Riggs compared to John McEnroe? I’d never heard of Riggs before his court match, but Serena v Mac, you could easily make that match bigger than any women’s or men’s finals of a slam.
    The match has to occur and should be set up next year.

But the real thrust of my blog was should we take Mac seriously when he says he has nightmares about the Lendl French Open match or is Mac just trying to drum up interest for this book?

• catherine · June 29, 2017 at 7:43 am

I’m sorry Dan, but you cannot really be serious. Women’s pro tennis reduced to farce ? An almost 37 year old woman at the end of her career playing a late middle aged man (I don’t know how old John is) – what on earth would it prove ? Bigger than any finals of a slam tournament ?
    I have to assume you’re joking.

If women’s tennis needs a shot in the arm then it should come from players now, not through some rubbishy meaningless non-contest done for dubious publicity purposes. Serena would probably decline anyway.
    The King/Riggs match belongs to the 70s – different time, different place, different politics, different people.

Mac is pushing his book. That’s all.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 29, 2017 at 9:16 am

The Riggs vs King match in Houston was one of the biggest events in the history of womens tennis. Serena vs McEnroe would be EVEN BIGGER. Oh by the way: Karsten Braasch def Serena 6161.

• catherine · June 29, 2017 at 9:35 am

But it’s NOTHING to do with women’s pro tennis. Just a circus. King/Riggs was to do with BJK’ amour-propre. Had no effect on the wider women’s game at all. (I know – I was around in the 70s – young it’s true, but around)

If any male player beats Serena who cares ? What’s your agenda ? That men are better than women ? Why do feel you have to keep pointing that out ?
    Serena’s never said she could beat a male contemporary and neither has any woman to my knowledge. They’re not stupid.
    Who is Karsten Braasch ? Again, who cares ?

Martina played Gerulaitis once I think and it was a total flop – no one took any notice. You can only do that kind of thing once.

• Dan Markowitz · June 29, 2017 at 10:02 am

Again I disagree with you. First though, Braash was one of the great characters in the game. A true unconventional player and the young Venus and Serena thought they could take him down and they got totally tooled. I don’t see this interest in a Mac-Serena match as being anti-women or women’s tennis although we all know women’s tennis especially in the states where Venus and Serena are long in the tooth and Keys and Sloan have faltered , has taken a severe downturn.

And if you read that NPR interview with Mac, done by a woman, where the interviewer insisted Mac admit that Serena was not just the best women’s player of all-time, but the best player period of all time, many people believe Serena could beat many men pros.

So a Mac v Serena would not only have that intrigue (not that Mac at 58 could get a gam or more against say Denis Kudla today, and if he could I’d like to see that match too), but a Mac v Serena match might be a legitimately entertains and competitive match something Riggs v King really wasn’t because King was so much better than Riggs in 1973.,

• Scoop Malinowski · June 29, 2017 at 10:17 am

The Battle of the Sexes is about public interest. King and Riggs showed there is a huge interest in such a match. King won and supposedly re-negged on her promise to give Riggs the rematch. Obviously there is public demand and interest to see the next edition of Battle of the Sexes. Just like ESPN is redoing a new Battle of the Network Stars 🙂 Serena had interest and desire to beat Braasch but she learned a valuable lesson – and that is that she is not good enough to beat a decent ATP player. She never tried again. But Serena is a lot better now then she was then and maybe just maybe she can beat Tursunov or McEnroe. I for one have curiosity to see what happens. Look, if the staged Battle of the Sexs once and it was a huge smashing success, why not do it again? It would be huge for the sport of tennis and it would attract a TON of new fans and people to try tennis which would be fantastic for the sport.

• Duke Carnoustie · June 29, 2017 at 10:20 am

There is no reason for the match. People who follow tennis know what would happen. Let’s not cater to people who don’t who somehow think Serena could beat Andy Murray or any male pro. That’s the problem in the world, the idiot fringe is taking over with conspiracy and fantasy theories.

• Jimmy the Gent · June 29, 2017 at 11:18 am

jmac vs serena…..I would actually pay money to see that. yes, bit of a novelty however very intriguing as we’ll see where their tennis levels are relative to their ages & tour, etc.

WTA is a joke and especially equal prize money at the GS does not add up (hello ! best of 3 vs. best of 5 for starters)..

• catherine · June 29, 2017 at 11:36 am

I’m not getting into these arguments but I do deeply resent your comment Jimmy that the WTA is a ‘joke’. OK, you can make any silly remark you like on a website but fortunately it means nothing and women will go on playing tennis whether you like it or not and quite a lot of people will enjoy watching them.

• Dan Markowitz · June 29, 2017 at 12:44 pm

The WTA is not a joke, but it’s also not exciting or entertaining tennis or has any really enticing rivalries. Also, there’s not a single intriguing top player as far as style the way a Federer or even a Nadal with his spin or Thiem and Wawa with one-handers and Kyrgios with his sublime talents.

The women have…Serena, who’s pregnant, and who else? Ostapenko, Halep, Maria, Azarenka, these players don’t excite me very much.

The novelty of a Mac-Serena match is you don’t know who’s going to win. This is not Serena-Fed. Serena has 20 years on Mac and she’s still playing on tour. If Mac were to beat her, or if they played a competitive exciting match, it’d be great for tennis. If Serena doesn’t take the match with Mac, even a Mac-Maria match would be fun and compelling. Mac-Venus not so much.

• Duke Carnoustie · June 29, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I wouldn’t watch. Mac’s act has worn thin and he’s been a clown and cranky old man of late. I am a NY Knicks fan who hates him also because he had a chance to defend Charles Oakley from that clown Knicks owner James Dolan and didn’t do it just because he likes his free courtside seats.

Besides he ranks far below the current greats we have in the Big Four. I’ll pass.

• Hartt · June 29, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Which players we enjoy watching is a personal preference, and is very subjective. It would be boring if we all agreed on that. As far as the WTA is concerned, lots of fans enjoy their matches a great deal. On the other site where I chat about tennis, the majority of folks are more interested in the WTA players than in the ATP guys. I am in a definite minority in following the ATP players more closely.

I think it’s great that there is so much variety in tennis, and don’t think anyone needs to put down the WTA, to call it a “joke.”

• catherine · June 29, 2017 at 1:24 pm

But Dan what’s the point ? If Serena plays Mac etc what difference is it going to make to the women’s tour which you find completely boring and uninspiring ? Serena and Mac aren’t going to go out on the road with a variety show to liven things up.
    It all really turns on the fact that you don’t like women’s tennis very much – fair enough, I don’t like football (UK version) very much either. So I don’t follow it.
    And as for Fed and Nadal – exceptional players among the men. And they won’t be around forever.

I’m not too keen on the style which dominates women’s tennis at present but there are odd matches and odd players who interest me. So I follow, on and off. I don’t dismiss the whole sport or see the need for novelty acts to divert me. I would imagine quite a lot of people feel the same.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 29, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Duke: The word conspiracy is in the dictionary for a reason 🙂

• Scoop Malinowski · June 29, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Mcenroe and Serena are both far bigger attractions each than Riggs or BJK. This event would captivate the world. I really don’t care who would win. They should both just do it for the sport and to make history again.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 29, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Catherine: Battle of the Sexes 2 is the kind of event that would explode tennis popularity to a new level just like Riggs vs King did. All tennis fans should be in favor of such a potential sport grower. Nobody really cares who wins. It’s just something very interesting to see.

• catherine · June 29, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I’m not aware that King/Riggs exploded tennis popularity in the 70s. In fact by the late 70s tennis began to fall back in numbers as a participant sport.

King/Riggs had more to do with women’s lib than sport.

• Dan Markowitz · June 29, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Oh, I would care who wins. Serena and Mac, the appeal goes well beyond the tennis, which I think would make for real interesting tennis because Mac would be pushing forward and hitting those still great volleys and Serena would be trying to blast him off the court.

Would Mac stumble and be KO’ed? Would Mac make Serena look silly by pulling her into crevices of the court she clearly is not strong at covering. The storylines and playing style differences could very well make for a quite unusual and captivating brand of tennis.

Plus, Mac would get under Serena’s skin or try to because he’s still a very competitive dude. Serena would have a hard time keeping her emotions intact. She make yell out at Mac the way she did at the diminutive Japanese lines woman.

Will it resuscitate women’s tennis which even as Hartt says it’s very popular and discussed, I don’t think so (I think women’s tennis is at an all-time low since I started following the sport back in the 70’s), no Catherine, you’re right, I don’t think it’ll have much effect on the state of the women’s game. But tennis needs heavyweight events, particularly between two out-sized American personalities, and I think it’d be a far bigger night than the rather cheesy tennis event they put on at Madison Square Garden in March–Tennis America or something like that and far bigger than any WTT match.

Let’s get it on! Tennis needs a little pro wrestling mania.

• jg · June 29, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Serena the great player she is wouldn’t be 700 on the men’s tour, no way, now either would Mac, I would rather see it than the “big 4” or whatever play another boring final.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 29, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Then they could do it again like a young player like Ostapenko or Anisimova vs like a Spadea or Agassi or a Bryan Bro in singles? Get creative. Tennis could use creativity and exploring new frontiers.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 2:16 am

Oh well this is just dreaming, it’ll never happen – and I don’t myself like men/women competitions much because of the the murky atavistic feelings which always rise to the surface on these occasions and are always with us.

Dan – I’ve been following women’s tennis as long as you have. or longer, and it’s constantly been described as at ‘an all time low’, so I take that with a pinch of salt.I think it’s a case of plus ca change….

• Dan Markowitz · June 30, 2017 at 5:39 am

Don’t agree with either Scoop or Catherine. No, I don’t think these Battle of the Sexes should be ongoing events. Make it Mac v Serena, one time, Arthur Ashe Stadium event indoors in February and get it on!

Women’s tour has had lots of halcyon days, Evert-Martina, Seles-Graf, Hingis, Williams sister, Henin, Clijsters and Capriati. A few years ago, the women’s finals was sold out before the men and put on prime time Saturday night.

No, this is a bad stretch for women’s tennis primarily because all the young exciting players have pooped like Bouchard, Robson, Keys, Stephens, Bencic…etc.

Wow, Fritz into Main Draw. Kudla bageled in fifth set, Marcus Willis loses 12-10 in fifth set. Only American to qualify is Fritz.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 6:32 am

Maybe the women’s circuit is not getting the right publicity, too much about glamour etc and from comments I read I gather it is not getting good tv exposure. The WTA is to blame there.

Finals are usually sold out actually. Whoever’s playing.

The men’s tour features Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and that is not a level playing field for women. Also the best players around now that Serena has gone are not Americans and that could have something to do with it.

• Dan Markowitz · June 30, 2017 at 8:23 am

No, you don’t have a Hingis either who played an intriguing style. You don’t have any of the power net-rushers anymore, Martina, for example, I loved watching her. She was an athlete, artist, edgy, had the villain in her. Now these players are mostly vanilla. Name me one player like Capriati who was getting busted for cocaine use at 18 and landing in seedy motels and dancing topless in NYC bars?

The only women’s player who floats my boat sometimes these days is Mattek Sands. At least she’s got mojo and looks like she’s having fun out there. Most of these other women are like Stephens, who looks like she’s being forced to play. That’s why Ostapenko was a nice shot in the arm and Kerber when she had her mojo. They’re gutsy like Halep too.

But you don’t have artists anymore, Clijsters doing splits; Henin and Mauresmo hitting one handers with flair. Now it’s mostly Pliskovas and Kvitovas and Keys, blasters with not much going on in the crafty side of tennis. Give me a player with some craft, guile and daring style. I like Giorgi, but she’s way too hit and miss.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 30, 2017 at 8:56 am

Ons Jabeur is an artist. Bouchard is allegedly a man eater. Coco is a powerful personality with an elegant / power game. Giorgi is a knockout beauty. Hsieh is an artist. Keys is a power house. Carla Saurez Navarro is an artist. Lots of attractions in the WTA.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 9:19 am

Well I totally agree – there’s no difference in style among 99% of players but I don’t know what anyone can do about it. This topic has come up often in the past. Sometimes when I’m watching clips etc and the players are dressed the same, hair the same, style the same I really can’t tell them apart.

It’s down to coaching mainly I suppose – then young girls imitating top players,having no dominant player now who plays attacking, varied style and inspires others the way Martina N was inspired by BJK and wanted to emulate her.

Serena has not had tremendous influence – she’s been a dominant figure but possibly not a player it’s easy to identify with. But maybe too early to say.

I still think the WTA has a deadening influence – rather see glammed up women playing ‘women’s’ tennis and posing around at parties etc than anyone a bit out of the ordinary.

Simona’s gutsy, as you say, but she’s a bit introverted perhaps and doesn’t make the most of her talent – too defensive under pressure. Kerber has that kind of remote coolness on court which is attractive and beguiling but she’s not winning anymore and Nordic angst isn’t going to pull in the fans.

So I don’t know.
    I was reading one of Billie Jean’s early instructional books the other day and she mentions the volley as being the most efficient shot in tennis. And how the ideal game consists of no more than 4 shots. Well, as Gene Scott once said to me, BJ practically refined tennis out of existance but it would be good to see a few women these days giving this style a try, even if they lose a few matches. Risk, rather than eternal one-dimensional safety first.

• Chazz · June 30, 2017 at 9:30 am

Good R1 matchups:
    Fritz-Isner
    Dimitrov-Schwartzman
    Coric-Harrison
    Verdasco-Anderson
    Cilic-Kohlschreiber

Potentially interesting R2 matchups:
    Nadal-Young
    Tiafoe-A.Zverev
    Escobedo-Djokovic

• Chazz · June 30, 2017 at 9:30 am

Chazz writes:

Hmm. I guess line breaks don't work anymore.

• Hartt · June 30, 2017 at 9:35 am

Radwanska can be crafty, and often makes shots that leave you wondering, how did she do that? She has great anticipation and, with her size, couldn’t depend on a power game even if she wanted to. She is good at finishing off points with a nice volley. She is one WTA player who has variety in her game, including lobs and drop shots.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 10:06 am

Scoop – I was replying to Dan btw in case it doesn’t make sense. But actually I can’t see any of the players you mention lighting up the stratosphere, not really. Too erratic.

Hartt – yes, but what’s happened to Radwanska ? She’s had a terrible year, injuries etc and I can’t really see her getting any better. At one point she just seemed to stop developing, maybe around the time Martina threw in the towel.

• Jimmy the Gent · June 30, 2017 at 10:26 am

@ Dan – back to your article for a sec…..do you think AROD has the same nightmares ?….of course, i’m referring to the high backhand volley he missed in that one wimby final against FED to be almost up 2 sets to love…

• Scoop Malinowski · June 30, 2017 at 10:47 am

Catherine: There was a time when Nobody saw Pennetta or Puig or Stan or Estrella Burgos lighting up the stratosphere.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 10:53 am

Well Puig didn’t light it up for very long did she ? I value longevity in players.

• Chazz · June 30, 2017 at 11:04 am

Not sure where to put this but breaking news: Jack Sock split with coach Troy Hahn. He will be working with Jay Berger at Wimbledon. See, we are on top of things here! He listened to our suggestion.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 30, 2017 at 11:07 am

It was the right decision. Clearly Sock needed a new voice as he has struggled for months now and his results have flatlined. Not sure if Berger has the answers. I think a player who has been there and knows the current players would be a better fit but if the Bergermeister can prove his cynics wrong it will be great for Sock.

• jg · June 30, 2017 at 12:33 pm

For comparison Winston Lin, who played at Columbia U, is ranked 707. How about Isner playing Fritz first round, Isner barely beat Tiafoe at US Open first round, I don’t think he will get through this one.

• Hartt · June 30, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Catherine, regarding Aga, have not seen enough of her recently to understand why she is in this slump. She changed racquets a few months ago, which seems to have been a mistake because apparently she is back with her old one. She generally likes grass, so it will be interesting to see how she does in Wimby.

• Andrew Miller · June 30, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Each tour’s exciting eras go in cycles. One year the wta is more exciting and another year the men’s tour is. Kerber made it interesting last year by posing a legitimate challenge as the top player out of nowhere practically. This year the Federer vs Nadal rivalry has reemerged and the men’s tour offers better stories. As the wta has leaned into promoting glamour over talent the talent has suffered. When the ATP promoted its next generation over its veterans that’s proven to be premature also.
    So this year the wta sucks. Next year the ATP might stink. Not everyone will enjoy seeing the big five take a beating when it happens.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Re Jay Berger – I think I saw him play at the USO back in the 80s and I wrote ‘Berger’s service action makes Tracy Austin’s look like poetry in motion’. I assume it’s the same Berger ? Maybe I was a bit unfair. He might be a good coach.

• Andrew Miller · June 30, 2017 at 1:01 pm

As much as I want to agree with not anointing Ostapenko let’s give her a chance. She’s earned the right to show her French crown is either a sign of things to come or a sign of how hard it is to follow up an enormous earth shattering victory with another one.

• Andrew Miller · June 30, 2017 at 1:02 pm

They’re two different tours.

• catherine · June 30, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Andrew – do you mean men and women ? I’ve always thought that 🙂

• Dan Markowitz · June 30, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Jimmy,

When I think of one shot that a player must wake up in a fury over it’s that backhand Roddick had against Fed in the 2009 Wimby. I mean Roddick did what you’re told never to do which is let a volley go when you’re not sure it’s going out. If Roddick had knifed that volley past Fed into the open court, we might be talking about a two-time slam champion and a guy who finally beat Fed in a Wimby finals.

You’re right, Catherine, for a guy who had some an ugly serve, it’s weird he’s working with Sock who has a very fine serve.

• Jimmy the Gent · June 30, 2017 at 1:53 pm

ohh man !! that’s gotta be torturous for poor AROD…I think he (anyone) would trade the open win for a wimby crown – any day of the week..

• Andrew Miller · June 30, 2017 at 3:28 pm

The men’s tour and women’s tour are different tours for sure. Same sport!

• Dan Markowitz · June 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I don’t thinks so. That 2003 US Open win was big even if it came against JCF. He had a magical summer beating Fed in Canada and he was playing much better than any other time in his career.

Andrew, sometimes you can be so profound.

• Andrew Miller · June 30, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Berger eh? All righty. I appreciated Berger’s lunch bucket style of play, but Courier and Gilbert surpassed it.

Thanks Dan. Sometimes I can describe things with a “keep it simple stupid” aspect to them.

• Andrew Miller · June 30, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Yeah I’d agree, the wta has talent and like Dan is saying few have made the most of it. For the most part they’re tripping over one another and have been for a good while now.

Kerber discovered she had a champion in her, which was exciting. And I enjoy watching Serena carve up a court with aces. But it’s been hard to get behind players for their touch volleys etc. I’ve really appreciated the glimpses of talent, like the stab volleys from Gavrilova. Kvitova when she’s winning is a sight to behold.

But no there’s no Navritilova out there, or Henin who’s slicing and dicing apart her foes. Serena does this but her game is a power game.

Scoop what’s this about Bouchard? I’m not going to judge her. I just think that not unlike other breakout players she’s really fallen.

• Scoop Malinowski · June 30, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Yes Bouchard has fallen down but everyone gets back up. Look even Gulbis has gotten back up – he’s in the main draw and will face Estrella Burgos first round. The Battle of the two players whose careers are hanging by threads.

1 2