Tennis Prose

May/24

Djokovic Steamrolls Moutet in Rome

Novak Djokovic returned to action after a month away since losing at Monte Carlos semis with an impressive 63 61 win today at Rome Masters vs Corentin Moutet ATP 79 and lucky loser this week.

Moutet overwhelmed Djokovic early by taking a 3-1 early lead but then the World No. 1 adapted to the court and lefty spins of the 25 year old Frenchman and then dominated the match.

“I played a lefty and I have not practised with a lefty in a while, so it took me a little time to adjust to the different rotations of the ball. The first four games were quite bad from me. A bad start. I lost both my services games,” said Djokovic, who has not win a title his year. “But then I played well. I only lost one game from 1-3 down. Corentin is a very talented player. He has great hands and is very unpredictable. You don’t know what comes up next, so I had to stay focused, which I did and it is a good opening match.”

Moutet’s ringing phone stopped the match in the first set, a likely pre-planned stunt, similar to his escapades in Madrid where he ordered a coffee during the match vs. Junsheng Shang and also lost hand control of his racquet while serving on match point. Moutet’s Technifibre racquet flew in the air out of his hand as Shang made the return to which Moutet could only hopelessly kick the ball. Shang subsequently won.

Moutet’s distraction tactics were no match for Djokovic, who was in his ruthless terminator mode, totally unbothered by any shenanigans by Moutet. Next up for Djokovic will be a third round clash with Alejandro Tabilo of Chile, another lefty. If Djokovic can win it will be his 1100th career match win in singles.

After the match while leaving the court Djokovic was hit in the head by a metal water bottle thrown by a hooligan. He was bloodied but not hurt.

· ·

• Scoop Malinowski · May 10, 2024 at 5:30 pm

Rome tournament official statement on the near tragedy seems strangely disinterested that the greatest player in history almost endured a tragic career ending pre-meditated attack…

See new posts
    Conversation
    Internazionali BNL d’Italia
    @InteBNLdItalia
    “Novak Djokovic on leaving the Central court at the end of his match was hit on the head by a water bottle while signing autographs to spectators. He underwent appropriate medication and has already left the Foro Italico to return to his hotel; his condition is not a cause for concern”, the Management of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia announced.

• Sam · May 10, 2024 at 10:28 pm

😳 😡

• Scoop Malinowski · May 11, 2024 at 8:06 am

Sam, yes the reaction of the bottle owner was suspicious, looked like a pre-planned fake accident. The original story tried to claim (falsely) the bottle owner was a “child” which video shows is not true. And why was the guy holding his arm down with nothing to sign? His reaction after the bottle fell out of his bag was also suspect, no reaction at all, no concern, no apology. I’m going to call this a set up.

• Sam · May 11, 2024 at 11:06 pm

Exactly, Scoop. How many other famous athletes in a stadium have had a water bottle fall on their heads?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

And why didn’t the bottle fall, say, five feet from him instead? 🤔

• Scoop Malinowski · May 12, 2024 at 8:16 am

Sam, I think the scheme was for the bottle to hit Novak in the face. Now we have to wait for the next deep state attack.

• Sam · May 12, 2024 at 9:59 pm

Scoop, well, at least Novak will be on red alert now. 🚨 And glad that they botched their scheme.

• Scoop Malinowski · May 13, 2024 at 8:27 am

Sam, but the soft attack may play with Djokovic’s mind and at French Open he has to be careful and looking over his shoulder at all times because anything can happen at any time. This kind of threat will not help his tennis. But then again I could be wrong on that, I’m a mere tennis mortal. This kind of threat on Djokovic may actually raise his tennis. He has a little extra incentive and vendetta now.

• Harry · May 13, 2024 at 6:03 pm

Can you define the “ Deep State”? Is it the heads of the big tennis organizations? Media? I know you hate Bodo and all the successful writers.
    Did the water bottle thrower pledge allegiance to Fed or Nadal?
    SMH

• Sam · May 13, 2024 at 8:16 pm

Scoop, well, it obviously affected his effort against Tabilo. Remember, with the attack against Seles, what affected her most was the emotional trauma. 😾

Just curious—how do you expect Djokovic to do in Paris?

• Scoop Malinowski · May 13, 2024 at 8:43 pm

Harry, It’s been said big donors/sponsors control politics… so you can also say big sponsors have a lot of influence on tennis. And I’ve talked about this with former player friends. You’re dead wrong to say I even dislike Bodo, I like him, have watched matches with him, loved his book from the 70s, just his politics are far different and pushing the anti Djokovic agenda was rubbish. Who are the successful writers? I adore Richard Pagliaro of tennisnow, great friend, he’s the only one I read.

• Scoop Malinowski · May 13, 2024 at 8:45 pm

Sam, Remains to be seen how this incident will affect him, I am leaning to it will not and he will win the title. I think they will put Novak and Nadal in the same quarter again.

• Sam · May 13, 2024 at 10:13 pm

Scoop, that would be interesting if the two meet in the quarters. 🤔

Do you think Djokovic had a concussion? 😂

• Sam · May 13, 2024 at 10:15 pm

Oops, mistakenly put wrong emoji at the end. I meant to use a sad one like this: 😿

• Scoop Malinowski · May 14, 2024 at 8:08 am

Sam, No I don’t think he had a concussion, if he really did he would not have been fit to play. But if he says he had a concussion, then he can take legal action like Bouchard did on the US Open for her concussion.