Mar/17

Women’s Tennis Must Go!

12565404_10206871092149095_2640537973679417595_nI’m watching the brilliant match between the two Next Gen’ers, Kyrgios and Zverev, and what does Tennis Channel do, it switches to the ultra-boring match between Venus and Peng. Now this is high treason, my friends, and something must be done to stop it. Peng pushes the ball like a public parks pusher. Venus confounded, still hits serves in the bottom of the net. I can’t stand it. Last week I had to watch the nauseatingly boring display between Venus and Garbine until I got to see the scintillating Kyrgios and Sock.

I didn’t mind women’s tennis when it was out on its own sphere, it’s own rock, and I didn’t have to watch it if I didn’t feel like it (which is most of the time, please, don’t subject me to a Kerber-Radwanska match. I beg of you.) But when women’s tennis gets directly into the way of my watching men’s tennis, then I have really have a beef. Was Ray Moore really so long last year when he stated the obvious, “I think the WTA [Women’s Tennis Association] … you know, in my next life, when I come back, I want to be someone in the WTA because they ride on the coattails of the men,” Moore said. “They don’t make any decisions, and they are lucky. They are very, very lucky. If I was a lady player, I’d go down every night on my knees and thank God that Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal were born because they have carried this sport. They really have.”

I rest my case…and geez am I happy the Keys v Woz match is on tonight at midnight after I’m fast asleep. Before then, at least hopefully I can watch SteveJo v Fed and Sock v Grigor.

• Hartt · March 16, 2017 at 1:24 pm

The discussion about Nathalie Tauziat got me to take a look at her career. She won 8 singles and 25 doubles titles, reaching No. 3 in both disciplines. Had forgotten she was a mentor to Bartoli when Marion won Wimbledon. She said she always wanted to be a coach, even when she was still playing. She works with some young players at the Tennis Canada facility in Toronto along with coaching Bianca. She even spoke at a conference for Canadian coaches a year ago.

I came across an article by Christopher Clarey in 2000 about her book. She addressed many different issues, including the perception that most women players were lesbians, teenage burnout, and the problem of valuing style over substance, such as greater interest in Kournikova than Davenport.

• catherine bell · March 16, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Wish my French was up to reading Tauziat’s book !
    One issue, teenage burnout, isn’t a big deal now it seems, but it was back in the 80s, with examples of Andrea Jaeger etc.
    Other issues are the Usual Suspects :)

• Thomas Tung · March 16, 2017 at 1:54 pm

From what I’ve seen, for most venues outside of the 4 Slams, early-day tennis always has a good number of empty seats, regardless of whether it’s men’s or women’s tennis going on (except if it’s one of the Big 4 men’s players).

• Hartt · March 16, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Re empty stadiums during the day – I bet all the fans are watching the big names practice! On the IW website there is a daily podcast and the players are usually asked if they were a tour guide, what would they tell fans to see. Most of the players say the practice sessions because fans can get close to the players.

Actually, that website is quite good. Along with the podcasts and daily articles they also have a selection of pics from the day before.

On tennis.com there is a brief video of poor Sam Groth, right after he arrived in Drummondville during a snowstorm and frigid temperatures. He had come directly from Indian Wells, where he had lost in the qualies. I bet that is the last time he goes out early in a tourney played in a warm, sunny place!

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm

With Boogert’s backhand Sock would be 16-0. I like Sock and appreciate his gumption and how he compensates for having the worst backhand in the top 100. It’s very entertaining and especially note his overprotection of such a lousy shot. I’d love to hear an Agassi commentary on Sock’s brutally bad backhand, which I’m sure Agassi would attribute to ppoor technique.

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Empty stadiums and ticket prices. This could be solved, it’s not like there aren’t tennis fans in California. That’s the tournament directors fault.

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Or ask Tsonga, who enjoys picking on the Sock backhand :) although Tsonga seems like a nice guy, I’m sure he’d make a face and smile if you ask him and then talk about Sock’s forehand and ability to hit the forehand from anywhere on the court ;) hint hint. Wonder why ;)

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · March 16, 2017 at 3:03 pm

The higher Sock rises up the rankings the greater the persecution and prosecution of his backhand!

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · March 16, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Andrew; Grigor’s opinion of Sock’s backhand would supersede Tsonga’s :)

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Ahh Grigor, his many accomplishments make his opinion so valuable ;) sorry Scoop. We all know you have a better backhand than Sock. No need to defend a lack of a weapon here, Sock does a fine job of protecting it.

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 6:44 pm

2001-2002, yes those fine days with Al Costa shocking the world with his upset of Ferrero. Please…while we all marvel at how Al Costa even found himself with a slam in hand or how the overrated Alex Corretja couldn’t will himself to one in that weak era (Rios thrashed Correrja with some measure of joy)…we can’t argue about this stuff. That wasn’t the hay day of the French. Nor Iva Majoli’s miracle run in 1998. These aren’t great moments in tennis history. 2001-2003 saw the fading of the old guard, the sputtering of the new one. It was a transition period marked by parity.

I like Hewitt too. But as solid a champ as he was, he played doormat to his superior peer Federer. Safin who I also appreciated, botching a final to a persevering Tom Johannson. Credit Tom, but that also wasn’t a fine moment. ivanisevic cilicing his way to a slam over Rafter, who lost his chance in an exciting epic Wimbledon final.

Yeah great moments. Not a great period

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 6:46 pm

So the 2001-2002 ATP was today’s wta :(

• Dan Markowitz · March 16, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Vesnina has a serious grunt, uh-yah!

• Scoop malinowski · March 16, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Andrew; i would equate Costas major to Cilic. Wasnt the most popular or exciting major final but happened and ir was earned like all the others. Not the biggest Costa fan but he made history.

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Sorry to knock Hewitt, my bad. Hewitt did exactly what some young gun should and go knock off the best player for a slam in the here and now. Safin and Hewitt both did this, in 2000 and 2001 us open title matches against the same man, Sampras.

But Scoop, Al Costa? Ferrero unable to scale the heights? Reminds me of the 1990 French open title where Gomez knocked out Agassi. The Costa title was no thriller. Despite Costa being a very good player, he was what some would call the clay court specialist. NADAL wiped out that category and his Spanish cohort changed the game in Spain.

The French very much belonged to clay court specialists. They had it in a lockbox and threw away the key, probably until Guga found it.

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Jack Sock’s book: I won Wimbledon by running around my backhand, and so can you!

• Andrew Miller · March 16, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Costa Cilic is a fine comparison. Technically solid players who played out of their mind for an unlikely title.

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · March 17, 2017 at 9:42 am

Andrew: Hewitt made Federer and Nadal great – Hewitt’s greatness inspired and forced them to become great which they did – You can clearly see the Hewitt influence on Nadal’s fighting spirit and Nadal has spoken about it -

• catherine bell · March 17, 2017 at 11:11 am

Honestly Scoop – Federer would have become great if Hewitt had never existed.
    Probably Nadal as well.

To say anything else is to diminish both.

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · March 17, 2017 at 11:37 am

Pete always said Andre made him a better player – mcenroe said it also about borg – Catherine if you dont play tennis you wouldnt understand how playing superior players results in you evolving into a better player – solving and figuring out how to beat your superiors is what equates to greatness – Ali was great because he beat Frazier and all those great challengers he had to face – Djokovic is great because he solved Rafa and Fed – Federer is great because he solved Hewitt Nalbandian Safin Pete Andre etc -

• catherine bell · March 17, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Yes of course playing superior players makes you better, you don’t have to be a player to understand that, but the original talent has to be there to start with.

What makes Federer and Nadal great is their ability to learn from others and go on to create their own dominance. Lesser players can’t/couldn’t do that.

That’s partly what tennis is about – it’s not a solo performance.

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · March 17, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Only way to be the best is to overcome the best.

• Andrew Miller · March 17, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Arguably Federer still ‘has it’ because of the trial of having to solve Sampras Hewitt Safin Agassi etc, Nadal too has it because he had to get through the then champions. Sure he may have been great – but this great? That’s applied and perfected skill right there. Federer probably and Nadal too can dig into reserves today’s players cant fathom.

• Bryan · March 20, 2017 at 6:38 pm

“Kyrgios and Zverev, and what does Tennis Channel do, it switches to the ultra-boring match between Venus and Peng.”

I agree it was wrong for Tennis Channel to do that. Peng is trash and while Venus is a story, the match was unworthy of showing when you’ve got two a hot match between two players with so much potential.

But that’s not to say women’s tennis is poor or ‘has to go.’ I enjoy the women’s game, it’s just that TV channels make the wrong choices and their directors should be escorted out of the studio.

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · March 20, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Bryan; Peng was no 1 in doubles and she has been a nice story because she was out for a year with a back injury and her career looked dead but she actually won a singles title last year and keep on winning in both singles and doubles -

1 2