Apr/12

Tipsarevic Calls Stepanek A Stinker

Beauty and the Beast.

This is hilarious. Did anyone see this about the 5-setter Tipsarevic and Stepanek engaged in for Davis Cup competition? Looks like Tipsy never read “Break Point” where Spadea goes into great detail about playing Stepanek in the 2005 Australian Open and Monte Carlo and what a schmuck Stepanek was. From stalling to pumping his fist at his coach all the time to just being a real annoying individual. Now Vince wasn’t the most liked guy on tour, as James Blake once told him at the end of a match, but I never saw Spadea upset an opponent with antics on the court and I must’ve seen 50 of Spadea’s matches.

I got to get Tipsy a copy of the book. And this from a guy who kisses his doubles partner and says, “I love you.” Maybe we have to look at Paes a little differently–he can absolutely antagonize opponents–if he chooses Stepanek as his partner.

Tipsarevic says Stepanek gave him the finger
Ticker – Saturday, April 7, 2012

Janko Tipsarevic accused Radek Stepanek of giving him the middle finger and calling him an ugly name after the Serb defeated the Czech in a gripping five-hour, five-set Davis Cup win in Prague. After a controversial handshake, Tipsarevic charged at Stepanek and had to be pulled back by Serbian captain Bogdan Obradovic

“I would just like all of you to know what kind of person is Radek Stepanek,” Tipsarevic told reporters. “I have this thing that I always believe the best in people, and even though players are telling that he can be not so nice on the court, I never believed it — even though I played him three times. As you can see my behavior on the court was, I think, fair enough. When he fell, I crossed the net to see if he needs help. I was always letting him to pass the net first. I even two times admitted a ball (was in) that was questionable After five hours and 10 minutes instead of shaking my hand, he gave me he the middle finger and told me I am stinking — something bad, it’s a swear word. [I] can understand that somebody like him can be angry after losing a match, especially after having so many chances [Stepanek had three match points]. But doing this? Not that I would never invent something like this. Unbelievable. I never, ever, ever, thought that I would experience this, especially because of my behavior on court. I’m not saying I’m a golden boy, the Stefan Edberg of men’s tennis, but at least I know what is right and what is not right. There is just one word for this: it is pathetic. Nothing else.”

Tipsarevic later tweeted a picture of their handshake at net where it appears that Stepanek might have been giving him the finger and tweeted that: “It really is a shame that a great tennis nation like CZE is represented by someone like him.”

Stepanek said that they shook hands normally.

Despite the hard-fought win, Tipsarevic told Davis Cup.com that it was “One of my worst performances ever. I’d like to thank my captain and teammates because I played horrible today. I was so friggin’ tight it was ridiculous.”

Serbia’s Nenad Zimonjic told the AP that Stepanek is “the least likable guy on the tour, especially on the court.”

• Steve · April 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Paes and Stepanek are the perfect couple.

• Author comment by Dan Markowitz · April 8, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Why do you say that, Steve? Is it purely on a playing level or are you inferring that Paes is also an instigator as far as trying to throw opponents off their games with underhanded tactics?

I’ve seen how annoying Stepanek can be in a live match. He’ll start pumping his fist and talking to his coach; even his worm dance can be agitating. Paes is seemingly a really nice guy, as is his coach, Rick Leach, but when I saw Stepanek and he play Nishikori/Monaco in IW, Paes was egging both of those rather stolid players one. He didn’t do that against Nadal/Lopez and I think it was out of respect for Nadal.

• mat4 · April 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Dan,

I don’t know about the States, but I’ve often sojourned in Eastern Europe and I know that what Step did is very offending there, enough in reality to start a fight.

I would have understood if Stepanek was a Pole (since Tipsarevic is a Serb), but him being a Czech… the only excuse I can find is that it is a sequel from their last DC match.

Finally, I often visit your blog and I wish to say that it is very interesting and refreshing.

• Dejan · April 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

Stepanek behaviour is very agly. He should receive penalty from the tennis organisation.

• Steve · April 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

Dan, please watch this clip with Paes & Mac:
    …and then maybe comment.

There are players so annoying they are entertaining which is what Stepanek is. I’d read a short book on Stepanek. From the worm dance to dating all the tennis babes to the ugly shaped racquet he uses. He’s a fascinating character. It’s def. not a Czech thing cause Birdman is very nice.

• Author comment by Dan Markowitz · April 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Annoying to you, the fan, but not so much to his opponents. I’d have to see what other players say about Paes. It’s clear Stepanek is not liked by Spadea and now Tipsarevic. I agree with you, I always make my way to watch Stepanek. I think he’s a fascinating guy, and when I’ve interviewed him, he strikes me as a thinking man’s player. Paes, I think, is a bit of a politician. Extremely extroverted and always paying tributes to Navratilova, his one-time partner, but on the other hand, a guy who likes to get under the skin of his opponents. He says he talks during matches just to get himself up and that he loves the challenge, but I think he also likes to get into the head of his opponents.

• Steve · April 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Well, this is why they are the perfect couple.

I bet there’s one or two guys at the weekend warrior level in every county that use similar tactics and are disliked by all.

• Author comment by Scoop Malinowski · April 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Big fan of Stepanek too, very nice guy to talk to one on one, just an ultra competitive guy who will get down and dirty out there. A very tough guy too, remember interviewing him the first time about seven years ago, the first time we did a Biofile and he has the face and eyes of a world champion boxer, seems to have scar tissue around the eyes and his black eyes have a cold ruthlessness quality, though again he is a very nice likeable guy. Just a tennis bad ass, in the heat of battle he is your worst nightmare. I watched the video of the ending of the Tips match and they were ready to throw down. I think Step took offense to Tips finger pointing excessive celebration as he strutted to the net, and he reacted accordingly at the handshake. Welcome to the site Dejan.

• Andrew Miller · April 13, 2012 at 12:52 am

I don’t get Stepanek’s off court success!